Tuesday, February 10, 2009

We might have to wrestle for it

This is the comment Jeff made last Thursday night when Grayson decided that he likes tamales. In the last couple of months, we have seen an increase in the foods Grayson will eat. And he's already a great eater! He's been eating sauteed spinach and roasted asparagus, as well as the common veggies (corn, green beans, peas) for a long, long time. He loves tacos, pesto pasta, and homemade pizzas with feta cheese. He also eats the normal kid cuisine foods (hot dogs, grilled cheese, hamburgers, tacos).

A little over a month ago, we had edamame. Grayson adored it. Two weeks ago he ate five ribs. We were amazed. None of the other kids we regularly hang out with would even think of touching ribs. Jeff said then that Grayson was starting to eat enough of "his food" that I would need to increase the quantity I cook. Then, one night I made homemade chicken pot pie. You guessed it - he ate A LOT of it. Not just enough to make us happy. He ate where we didn't have to ask him to eat xx number of bites. Then, as if it wasn't enough, he asked for leftovers for lunch. (His teachers always ask him what he has since it's not the normal PBJ lunches.)

The big event those was Thursday night. I made tamales for Jeff and I. I really didn't think Grayson would like them so I made cheese tortillas for him. Right after prayer Grayson looks at my plate, then Jeff's, then asks "What's that Mommy?" "Cheese tamales. Do you want to try it? It is made from corn. You like corn. Then it's filled with cheese and green chiles. It isn't hot." Sure enough, he wants a bite. Then another. And another. Now, I didn't make enough for him as well. So Jeff says "We might have to wrestle for the tamales Grayson!".

I'm not complaining. You kidding?! This is wonderful! A little strange among our friends but great for us. So, I guess I need to start cooking for three people in the house now - not 2 1/2 people. :)

No comments: